Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Thrill of the Challenge

By Louisa C. 
Created by Natalie M. on Toondoo

Throughout my educational career, the math classroom had always been my safe haven, a place where I found myself the most confident in my mental abilities and comfortable with learning new material. That was until I was introduced to geometry.

For me, algebra had been a cakewalk. As monomials evolved into binomials, and then advanced to polynomials, I never once had to think twice about the numbers I was working with. I could practically graph, solve, multiply, and divide these entities in my sleep. I found myself the unofficial tutor of my algebra class, the “phone-a-friend” option for all of my peers who struggled with these concepts. Solving multiple equations by graphing was a particular favorite topic of mine. I would march up to the front of the class to present my graphing masterpiece on the board as my peers watched in awe, holding the perception that I had somehow been blessed with unbelievable mental abilities allowing me to so quickly comprehend novel topics we had just learned minutes before. I felt on top of the world; the algebra classroom was my track and I was Usain Bolt, sprinting to the finish line with ease, making my accomplishments look effortless.

On the first day of my geometry class, I waltzed in with the expectation that the course would be breeze. My classmates had already strategically positioned themselves to sit as close to me as possible, allowing easy to access to ask for help. For about the first month or so, I was able to hold on to the new material, but the deeper we went into the course, the less confident I began to feel in my abilities. The first topic that truly stumped me was the Pythagorean theorem. I found myself extremely frustrated, I had always been able to work problems with triangles easily in the past, so why was this new concept so challenging? Who was this Pythagoras anyway, and what made his ancient Greek discoveries so important? My reputation as the “go-to-the-head-of-the-class” student quickly began to slip, as my peers began to notice that I was just as perplexed, or possibly more so, than they were.

Embarrassed, I attended every after school tutoring sessions that was offered, hoping to regain the abilities that allowed math to come so easily to me. I was able to maintain an A in the geometry course, but I had to put in much more work than I had in the past in order to understand the math. As the class came to a close, I realized that even though the topics in geometry challenged me more than those of my past math classes and revoked my nickname of the “math genius”, my love for the subject never once faltered. I began to realize the true appreciation I had for math itself. Instead of enjoying the subject because it was historically so simple for me, I found myself having fun crafting equations and breaking down word problems, appreciating the times I ran into a dead end and celebrating the times I overcame those obstacles.

Even when I entered the second level of algebra, and math once again became easier to understand, I did not find that I loved the subject any more or less. I was just having fun being introduced to new theories, equations, and concepts, allowing new opportunities to see how math could be applied to my everyday life and new ways to approach problems I faced. That being said, in all my future math courses, I do not hope to find easily comprehensible and simply understood materials, but rather a mentally challenging experience that unlocks new ways to think about the nature of systems and structures within our world. I have discovered that not only in math classes, but in my all areas of my life as a whole, it is the challenges I face that present exciting situations which allow me to explore new information about both the surrounding environment and myself.





18 comments:

  1. It is when we are taken out of our comfort zone, that we truly learn. Thanks for sharing your "math" experience. I am sure many students can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I felt exactly the same way walking into Geometry class and now as a math teacher - I actually love teaching the subject. To me it's a challenge on how I can break down the material so that my students can appreciate and understand the beauty of math. It's given me a better understanding of most students feel like when they walk into my math class and find it intimidating and challenging. What can we do as teachers to teach them to take the challenges and grow and learn from them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to this. My husband is a Mechanical Contractor and I help him with the business and many times when he is doing a bid he needs help drawing and scaling the building he is bidding on and I am not the one to do that. He has commented many times how can I be so smart and good in math and not be able to see the angles and understand them and I just can't. This article made me feel better. Thanks and we have to remember these experiences and that our students have the same problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an important message all students and teachers need to read! Everyone needs to know that it is okay to struggle, it is okay to not know what to do immediately, it is okay to make mistakes! Mathematicians don't create their mathematical legacies by solving problems that they know how to solve easily. They experience confusion and failure every day! We often forget that and think that people who are "good at math" can just do everything easily. This is a wonderful post to read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Learning new things is difficult, but seeing that light at the end of the tunnel is always important. It sounds like you had clear goals in achieving an A in the geometry course. It took extra work and motivation, but that's what goals will do for your personal drive. Interesting piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the useful information. Right on. It's more informative and easy to understand. Please help me suggest
    The Best School in Moolakadai
    The Best School in Vyasarpadi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned that u should always be prepared and never take anything for granted because if u do, u may not be ready for what's to come in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can apply this article to myself because I too have been in the same situation as this young man. There were many times when math got harder and harder and I felt like I wouldn't like it anymore but as I progressed and got better at it I still have the same love as before even though it is still very challenging I learn to get through it

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can apply this article to myself because I have also been in a situation to where I thought that since math was getting harder that I wouldn't like it as much but once I got through the challenging parts I still have the same love for it as I did before and i'm still learning new things everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In this article, I learned that a class probably shouldn’t be your favorite because it’s easy, but it should be your favorite class because you genuinely enjoy it. Sure, some classes you might hit a dead end. But getting the chance to get over that dead end is what’s exciting. The harder the challenge is, the more fun. Once you complete it, you feel accomplished. I can apply this to myself by working harder on a subject that I might think is harder, thus making me feel more accomplished and satisfied with my work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This situation can sort of apply to me because sometimes learning a new skill in math can be really difficult. But overtime after practicing the skill it becomes really easy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can relate to this article because I felt the same way. The math got harder and harder as the time passed by but I asked for help and I slowly started to understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Benefits of Spending Time Outside :

    The main point of this story was that it’s always good to get outside a once in a while cause you never know what awaits you on the outdoors and staying in the house can give you this medical term called CVS “Computer Vision Syndrome” all they want you to do is just get outside once in a while it won’t hurt just to go outside it won’t hurt you at all.

    Well i can’t really compare this to me because when i was growing up i always been outside the house all-day , everyday as a kid going outside doing what you want , hanging with your friends that all i needed in life

    ReplyDelete
  15. This article was very helpful to me. It taught me that no matter how challenging things become you should never give up. Even when things become difficult to understand you should look for new ways to understand it better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This article was very informative for me on how a challenge can be a very good learning experience and how you can learn more from them.

    ReplyDelete

  17. Thank you for sharing information with us.
    If you want to Know about Brindavan Institute of Technology and Science in Kurnool Admission Procedure, Contact us

    best b.tech colleges in andhra pradesh

    best diploma college in kurnool

    best b.tech cse colleges in kurnool

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I love how much you love Algebra! I also feel that way towards the algebra topics :) Geometry can be surprisingly hard but I am so glad you kept your motivation and put in such amazing work. This quality and work ethic will be an incredible asset for you in your future so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete