Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Stop Strangling the Mouse!


By Isabella S.

We get it. You’ve been staring at a screen for over an hour, and you’re slowly becoming a zombie.  Your eyes are beginning to glaze over, your mind slowly dozing into a hypnotic state, and your hand is cramping to the point of immobility.  You submit the assignment only to return to absolute confusion the following day.  We’ve been there. 


WAKE UP! Chances are that you are struggling to absorb the information because you are using subliminal thought rather than thinking. It’s as though the basketball players are dribbling and passing while the coach burns holes into the court with his eyes. You need to get your head in the game! Here’s how to fix it:

1.     Breathe.
Sit up straight and inhale deeply. With your hands in your lap, relax your shoulders and focus on the movement of your chest as you slow down and readjust. This will help you reset and come back to the material with a clear mind.

2.     Blink.
As you sense your mind drifting and you start to lose focus, blink three times. Look at the last sentence you read/wrote and see if it makes any sense. If you are reading, reread the paragraph. If you are writing, cut the last sentence out and paste it at the bottom of the page. Then, read the sentences before and continue writing as if the sentence that you pasted at the bottom of the page never existed. Don’t worry! You can always come back to the original later because you pasted it at the bottom of your page. If this step puts into a mad frenzy of writing but you get stopped at a roadblock due to confusion over the “right word,” leave it blank. Take advantage of positive energy and creative streaks, and then come back to edit with a clear mind.

3.     Break.
You may be clicking or scrolling without thinking. This problem occurs more often in virtual classrooms due to the lack of verbal communication between teachers and students. Without noise, your studies can become monotonous. Stand up, eat a snack, and play a short song (in earbuds if you're in a lab). If you are able to, try some physical activity during your break in order to increase your brain’s functioning. Map out what you can remember in a bubble map or brain dump. This will allow you to see exactly what your mind was absorbing while you worked.  After your break, reread or re-watch the last subject material you covered and continue on with a fresh start. You may discover through mapping out your knowledge that you need to completely start reading, writing, or watching over again.

Time your breaks appropriately. Finish the last math problem you were on or find a stopping point that will make sense when you restart. This can be tricky and comes with experience. If you are watching a video, it is helpful to at least pause approximately every four minutes. However, you may need to vary this timing if the four-minute time period ends in the middle of a category or speech. Each student is different, so you may need to take breaks more or less often than your classmates.


Note: All of these suggestions come from personal experience and conversations I have had with fellow students. Please remember that every student is different and results will vary.

38 comments:

  1. Isabella,

    Thank you for contributing to TutorTalk. I just read your article and what a timely subject. We are in to the semester crunch time and many students are spending long hours on the computer. Thank you for writing and contributing such a relevant and current article.

    I hope you will contribute many more of your works. You have a talent for writing.

    Ms. Sea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! As a teacher, I find I often fall into a haze after a while so I enjoyed these tips! Students, this time of year, are certainly cramming and need to keep these things in mind to stay productive and focused!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this post, "Stop Strangling the Mouse!". To often both students and instructors get caught in the rut of getting the task completed, but are not taking care of themselves (resetting) in the process. By setting aside a moment to stop, break, and stretch (reset) it keeps your mind fresh and the task becomes less daunting. We all need breaks and moments to ourselves. Also, the music. It is a must for me; we need to be able to work comfortably in our environment. Thanks for sharing the great tips and ideas about computer habits of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed this one, Isabella!! Very timely and beneficial to both teachers and students!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Isabella, you hit the target right in the bullseye. You not only identified some common problems, but you gave us some solid solutions. you have a talent for writing and I hope that you will continue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isabella, thank you for giving us some great tips to help us focus not only on the task, but completing it to the best of our abilities. You give us some relevant solutions, but you also acknowledge we are each different so our attention spans vary. What an awesome article to help both teachers and students become more productive users of our screen time!

    Great title and thoughts! I look forward to your next article, Ms. Loudermilk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey my name is Chalan Loudermilk and I very much agree with the statement you made, I believe that there are very different ways a peer can learn as this article expresses greatly

      Delete
  7. Great article Isabella! I'm super proud of your work with the PTC! Hope you are doing well.

    Mrs. Pilla

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tip about taking a break is really good. Standing and stretching, just getting away from the computer screen for two or three minutes, really helps your focus when you get back to work. Sometimes students are afraid to stop for a break because they don't think they have enough time. But honestly, that break will save time in the long run because it will make your work time going forward so much more productive!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. VERY timely! My own daughter is struggling right now and this will be a great read for her! Thanks for your insight and you are a great writer:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome advice, especially the break idea. I never realized how important periodic breaks are until I began online classes. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isabella, I agree. Clicking the mouse, scrolling and constantly looking at a computer monitor can be monotonous! Your suggestions to break the monotony are very practical. Thank you for posting.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isabella, this is a great reminder for everyone. I really enjoyed your post and will encourage students to put these helpful tips into practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breathe. Blink. Break. 3 words we can all incorporate into our daily work on computers. Thank you for sharing. I will be certain to pass these onto my students and peers.

      Delete
  13. Isabella, this is a wonderful post for students and teachers!! We can all use these reminders as we work online. I will be using these myself as well as reminding my students. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isabella, this is a great post about basic stress management with any academic task. Students (and Teachers) should never underestimate the power of a well-timed break from work! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isabella, this is a very neat, useful post! Both teachers and students have gone through unbearable stress before, and your methods help relieving that pressure greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isabella, what great advice! Not zoning out while working online has to be something that we consciously do. Your tips are top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isabella, this is such great positive reinforcement of good study and homework habits! It is hard to stare at that computer screen for so long and easy to get off focus, so taking breaks and re-centering your concentration is so important! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome tips, especially around exams and cram season!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm an online teacher as well as an online student in graduate school so I really appreciate these tips. It's hard to focus yourself even if you aren't working in a lab environment!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This will be very helpful for this class and at home because I am on the computer for hours at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These tips are very useful for the time I spend in the Virtual Classroom. I tend to not get enough sleep, so I tried out your tip on taking a break and just concentrating on breathing, and it helped wake me up and keep me focused.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This will be very helpful to me because I get distracted very easily and get side tracked. So sometimes it is very helpful to just take a break and relax but stay focused and think about the clicks you are making on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This article is very useful to help prepare me for the time that I will be spending in the Virtual Classroom. These tips help me learn how to handle commonly known struggles for online courses. I am thankful for the advice given by this article to Breath, Blink, and Break.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This article had great advice for any school endeavor that is online the three B's really improve your focus in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  25. After reading the article , I learned how to stay focused and how to stop my brain from drifting .

    ReplyDelete
  26. This article helped me learn how to relax and be focused when doing my work and it shows how to be less stress.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These tips can be useful for any testing environment.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very helpful information. Sometimes I'll be doing something for an online class and I'll realize that I haven't been paying attention to what I'm doing for five minutes. I'll be sure to use this article's advice in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This information will be very helpful for me because I loose focus easily. I have always had problems with keeping my attention on school related activities, the tips in this article will be very helpful when I am doing an online course.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I must admit that I use my computer for extended periods of time. I will definitely keep these tips in mind next time I use a computer!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can totally relate to this article, even as an adult. These tips are great and I will be trying these at work this week!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good list of tips. Taking online classes can be tough due to the long periods staring at a screen. Combine that with typical amount of time a student currently spends staring at other screens/devices and it's no wonder their brains get tired! Will definitely be mentioning these tips throughout any future virtual courses I teach.

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are such great tips. I find myself, even as a teacher, drifting or losing focus when I am working on something (especially if it is at the end of a long day). Most people think about the break but the breathe and blink are great ideas also. If you are not able to get up and move around these two would be optimal. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great points on taking a break and resetting yourself to focus on your task. There have been many times when I have experienced this.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I do believe that every peer has different way of learning as you did express slightly in this passage, but i also do think that there could be various different methods to keeping students engaged

    ReplyDelete