Thursday, November 22, 2018

Community Service: How and Why


By: Angelina N. 

Although it is important to study intensively, discover your interests, and pursue your aspirations in high school, it is also crucial to acknowledge the significance of giving back to the community. It is undeniable that the quality and welfare of the community depends on the individuals within it. If the members of a community readily contribute to it, then the community will have a thriving and healthy environment, but if the members of a community only focus on their own individual pursuits, then the community will have a much more distinguishable characteristic of inequality. To prevent this, you can begin at a local level by doing community service, which will not only benefit numerous members of your community but will also increase your appeal to college committees. 

So, what exactly is community service and how can you acquire volunteer hours? Community service encompasses all activities relating to benefiting the community. Due to the countless possibilities of community service, it is a great way to not only improve your local area but also a great way to exercise your strengths and spend time doing your hobbies. Below is a presentation providing a list of options for community service hours depending on your hobbies and strengths: 

Powered by emaze

The choices for benefitting your community are endless, and you can view it as a way to spend time doing your hobbies while spreading your passion to others. Community service hours make your college application stronger, serve as an exemplary opportunity to exhibit leadership skills, and have a direct positive impact on those around you. 

6 comments:

  1. Angelina, thanks so much for these great ideas to have meaningful community service, not just something to check off that you have volunteer hours! Well done, Ms. Loudermilk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article Angelina, I like how you used emaze and I didn't know that performing music and the arts can count for volunteer hours. As a musician myself, this really piqued my interest! I've also been interested in volunteering at animal shelters as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was an excellent blog in that it gave awesome ideas about how to make your community service meaningful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article is a great way to direct students away from self to the larger world around them. They need to know that we work together as a world and they do contribute to the world's success or otherwise. Listing different ways to do community service is excellent because most students don't even know that their hobby could be used as community service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In reading this article, I reflect on my past and present. When I applied for school, I didn’t have community service hours and I did not realize the importance of community service. I was surprised but some of what was considered community service. This was an informative article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a first generation college student coming from a low income family, this was an opportunity that I missed. I didn't KNOW that volunteering was an option, how much I could help my community, or how it could help my college applications. I love that you are educating our youth on the opportunities available to them and how it helps not only their community, but their applications. You had some great "out of the box" ideas that I would not have thought up, even though I have been volunteering in my community as an adult for several years at this point. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete